Thursday, October 7, 2010

A new one for me

A while ago I confessed to being able to take on the accent of any person I am talking to whether I want to or not. I'd reference you to that post, but I am too lazy. Well I did it again. I never knew I had it in me to do this accent, but sometimes even I can surprise myself. This last weekend I was working my parents espresso cart at a horse show when a family stepped up to order. To my surprise her Russian accent was very thick and to her surprise so was mine. A very awkward moment for both of us as I tried to stop, but then I just gave in to my crazy talent, made their coffees, and sent them on their way.

On another note one funny thing I noticed in Mexico while we were there is that the translation for them to reference us as a female is "lady", which can sound very funny or rude depending on how you interpret how they are talking to you. For instance "What would you like to drink lady" or "Would you like to look at my nice hand made necklaces lady" might sound rude if you don't understand that lady is I guess how they feminize their sentences. Just struck me funny after hearing it for a week. I think I like lady more than ma'am, which makes me feel anciently old when people call me this.

5 comments:

Suzanne said...

you would have a GREAT time here with that talent... you walk down the street and in 2 blocks here 5 different languages!
ps. i HATE being called ma'am. seriously hate it!

Vashti said...

I found myself increasingly taking a southern twang in my speech while I was in SC. It was just too much fun not to!
I would love to be around you when this happens...maybe someday. I think it would be hilarious to see you in action!
I loved being called ma'am while we were down south.

Unknown said...

I think I sounded way Idaho when we lived there... and now, I put a little more "boot" in my about :) There was actually something about this on "the Doctors" this morning... it's a very real thing!

PS, thanks for letting us play at your house on Tues... that was so fun! Even though I didn't "work" much, it's nice to get out!

Peter and Lesha said...

that is too funny, I think I told you before my mom only has one accent and it's chinese no matter who she is trying to be she is chinese even if she talked to a hispanic lady:) it's funny to here her stories.

Jenn @ Cuddles and Cameras said...

SERIOUSLY almost peed my pants!!! LOL I love that you have that talent! I start to sound like a southern belle when my in-laws come for a visit as well ;)