The other day Lexi cleaned out her backpack, as I was looking through her schoolwork I came across a book obviously given to her by the counselor. It was a book entitled Read all about me. Most of it wasn't filled out, but what was filled out was the page I'm special because...and Lexi filled in "I have a family" and then below that was a picture she had drawn of our family. This was a very proud and happy moment for me. Out of everything she could have chosen she chose her family. Her family is who she is, it defines her as a person and she feels special because of this.
I have been thinking a lot about children who have to deal with divorce lately and it truly makes me sad and very mad actually. I realize there are certain situations, but for the most part divorce is such a selfish choice.
Growing up there were quite a few kids whose parents had divorced, but I guess I didn't realize how lucky I was that mine had stayed together. I wish that I had been more empathetic towards those kids whose parents had divorced, but I guess I didn't realize the toll it takes on kids when their sense of normal is suddenly taken from them. How hard it would be to suddenly have mom's time and dad's time separately instead of together. I guess I always thought it was cool that they got a present from their dad and their mom. What I didn't realize is that they were missing out on the greatest gift of all and that is being a family. So I guess all I have left to say is thanks mom and dad for staying married and setting the greatest example for me and my posterity.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
So true! What a sweet heart Lexi has!
I so agree! Even in situations where divorce is warranted (as with my parents) it affects you for the rest of your life!
To many people take the easy way out instead of trying to work through their problems, especially when children are involved.
What a special thing for Lexi to write, she is really lucky to have you as a mother!
This post made me cry. Every child deserves a family and my heart aches for children who don't have that identity. How great that Lexi already recognizes that!
i had this discussion with my mom the other day... i have to say that i am greatful also for the example my parents were and are to me... it is not always easy, it takes a lot of work, but the blessings and impact it has on generations is profound! you guys are a great example to your kids, they are very lucky!
that totally made me cry, it was interesting how conference was all about protecting the family, it is under attack.I am so thankful to have two very loving parents who love each other and then loved us. great post.
is there a thumbs up button somewhere?
mimi
Post a Comment