Friday, May 22, 2009

Trust me cow I feel your pain!







Six days before I had Diesel, Lexi's class and actually all of Whatcom County's (it seemed like) 1st graders went to the fairgrounds for a field trip put on by the Dairy Farmers of Washington. Even though I have lived in Lynden all my life and thought I knew all there was to know about cows and farms, I actually learned a lot of interesting things. It kept all the 7 year olds entertained as well and we got a cup of chocolate milk (can't beat that). One thing I didn't know was that when a calf is born they use a special instrument to put a magnet in their stomach, so if they ever somehow eat a nail or a screw that got into the hay it will stick to the magnet instead of going through their digestive tract, so when the cow dies you can get the magnet out and see all that they ate which is now stuck to the magnet. It was kind of funny to learn that cows (especially mama cows) are suppose to drink 50 gallons of water every day. I guess we missed that one didn't we Jenny Miller :) A few years ago we shared some very expensive cows :) with the Millers, who were our neighbors at the time before they so rudely moved to Louisiana, anyway our 5 cows together never got near 50 gallons of water everyday. At the end of the field trip we got to meet a cow who was due to have a baby the following week. Everyone kind of turned to me and smiled because apparently this cow and I had a lot in common. I wonder if her calf is sleeping through the night yet.

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

not only is it sleeping through the night, it walks, runs, and gets its own food!

JenM. said...

We should've sent the boys (Jon and Wynden) on this field trip before our venture into cattle ranching. I think maybe we provided them 50 gallons a week? Sorry cows.

How much milk does a mama cow produce a day? Just curious. I would love to learn more about the bovine species... Maybe I'll buy one...Or five...

kaitlyn said...

not only that, but i am guessing her cow didn't give her mastitis!

Unknown said...

Cute :)

Okay, Kevin is a dairyman by birth and he ALWAYS compares me to cows when I am pregnant. I'm sure he doesn't mean that I look like a cow, right? :) But he's always like, "that's just like cows"...

Cows totally get mastitis :)