Thursday, December 2, 2010

What happened to just saying "excuse me"

I was in Costco the other day when I overheard this lady telling her friend, who she had just met up with, that she was trying to get through two different people with carts who were blocking the way, so she said out loud to them "who's going to move first?" At this point I thought wow that was something to say. Then she proceeded to tell her friend that when neither moved she just rammed into both of them to get through and by the way was very proud of herself. I wish I had the courage to say something smart to her, but as I get older things don't come very quickly. Now my sister would have been able to come up with something witty right away.

This is when I started thinking when did Americans stop saying "excuse me". Hopefully she was Canadian right. I have actually noticed it ever since I've had kids that people don't care what you're carrying whether it's a car seat with a very heavy 20 lb child in it or two kids in your arms one on each side, which is quite a workout, they expect you to move out of their way. Sometimes I will be pushing my old school jogging stroller without a swivel wheel and they will just kind of give you the look like it is you moving not me as I awkwardly maneuver around them. I just love it when they sit there and stare at my kids with a move it or lose it look while my kids oblivious to what that person wants, all the while I'm thinking just say excuse me and they will move they do not understand why you are just standing there glaring at them. So I move my kids, giving a little attitude by saying "oh excuse us" much too sweetly while I hope they get the hint that they were the ones trying to get by so it was up to them to use their manners and politely ask us to move. How's that for a Thursday rant.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

People are SO RUDE. Seriously, I've had it too! And I'm like you, I don't think of something good to say until later!

Once, my sister and I and our kids were at an IMax movie in Seattle. Afterwards, this "lady" about our age starting shoving her way through the isle to get out. Literally pushing our kids. I was super annoyed and glared at her when she got to me, when she said, "I"m 2.5 months pregnant, I need to get to the bathroom" at which point Kate and I both pulled back our coats-- we were 4 and 6 months pregnant. She was SO milking her pregnancy and being SUPER rude about it. Jerk :)

Suzanne said...

oh man, do i have some stories for you...

Andrea said...

You make me laugh. This is so well put and obnoxious.
I think I have the opposite problem though, the older I get the more things just come flying out of my mouth. I'm turning into my mother!:)

Peter and Lesha said...

good thing I wasn't there I defiantly have diarrhea of the mouth and things just fly out. rude though

Jeremy Saunders said...

I have noticed it too Jayme. I think the world is losing its' politeness. It needs to be taught when kids are young and reinforced over and over. The other day I was shopping and had a baby stroller (my friend's). I said in my friendliest voice with a big smile, Excuse me! and the lady looked at me and didn't move! I could have rammed the stroller into her heels, but I just stood there until her friend told her to move. What is up with that?
I have had people ram and bump into me without even saying excuse me, they just keep walking!
mimi