Thursday, June 10, 2010

The new cell phone law...what were they smoking?

The other night Wynden and I were watching the news and they had a thing on about the new cell phone law that goes into effect today. The reporter was explaining it in great detail. Apparently if you have a hearing aid and you get pulled over you can not be given a citation, you are allowed to talk on your cell phone. Of course emergency calls are permitted, but my definition of emergency might be different than theirs. For example, the babysitter called and Hunter is fighting with his sisters and I needed to yell at him or I'm on my way to Bellingham, I have time to get a pedicure, my feet need one desperately, and I need to make an appointment asap. Last part of the law and most interesting is if the cell phone is being held up to your chin (like most of us hold it when on speaker phone), this is ok too, you just can't hold it up to your ear. So the new law covers three inches from your chin to your ear. These three inches are sure to prevent accidents don't you think. I actually laughed out loud when they said chin talking is ok, but not ear. My dad explained that this is because of CBs. I'm so proud of our leaders in Olympia to have come up with such a genius law.

4 comments:

Vashti said...

What! Holding it up to your chin is just as distracting as holding it to your ear. So dumb!

Suzanne said...

if they really wanted to do something about 'distracted driving' they should prohibit driving with children! they're just trying to make more money off us... because taxes aren't enough apparently!

Unknown said...

Seriously... dummies.

Peter and Lesha said...

yeah Peter told me if I get a ticket he is taking my phone:) I think it's dumb too but what cha gonna do ya know, now if they make me stop eating in the car well they will hear from me:) hahahaha