Friday, May 7, 2010
Where's your accent from?
We all have different quirks that makes us unique and who we are. I think that I have probably the craziest one of all. Before this week I thought that it was a in the moment type of thing, but I soon learned that it wasn't. What am I talking about you might ask. Well I have the ability when I am talking to someone who has an accent whether it be Asian, Hispanic, Canadian, you name it I am capable of taking it on. I definitely don't do it on purpose, but all of a sudden I sound just like the person I am talking to. I go from plain English to rolling my Rs or talking with a drawl. It is embarrassing, I try my hardest not to do it, but it just slips out without my control. This past week a family friend of the Holman's came to stay and she is from Canada. You guessed it, the whole time she was here I sounded Canadian. This is how I learned that I can take on an accent without talking to someone with one because the whole time she was here whether I was around her or not I spoke with a Canadian accent. I might have even thrown in an "a" once or twice. I guess I just like to make everyone feel welcome and right at home.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
that is REALLY embarrassed. you should be mortified.
my dad does the same thing. i particularly love it when he watches like braveheart or some other scottish/irish movie and that is the accent that he takes on. it is HILARIOUS. same thing when they were up at the olympics a lot. sounded canadian for a couple weeks after.
I'm going to start talking in what I call my "duh" voice around you and see if it rubs off :) ha ha! :)
!!! They probably all think you are making fun of them!!
April
funny well at least your not like my mom who whenever she impersonates anyone with an accent the person is chinese it doesn't matter where they are from, spanish russian you name it all she knows how to do it chinese
While Scott was in Georgia I caught him saying " in the mornin' " If he starts saying "darlin" and "bless your heart" I'll laugh my head off!
We were visiting in Thomasville GA ward today and some poor kid with a thick drawl and an unfortunate stutter tried to share his testimony. You could have heard a pin drop. When he finally gave up and sat down Celina promptly got off her chair, turned and faced us and said in a loudly "Why does he sound different?" I about died!
Post a Comment