Friday, December 11, 2009
No We're Not From Mars, We Just Have Five Kids.
It is interesting when you have five kids to watch the reaction to people around you. In California it was really bad. When the kids and I were waiting outside while Wynden was getting the rental car this guy comes up with a puzzled look on his face and asks "are they all yours" And of course I say "yes" (although secretly I want to make up some sob story about how three kids aren't and how their parents were killed in a car accident and we took them in to help out and see what kind of reaction I get from that) He says "wow I've never seen so many kids." As we entered the airport with Karlee screaming and others crying I could see people counting. That's the funny thing I guess when you have four kids people can just at a glance look and see that you have four, but when you have five, people all the time count and it is usually out loud and as they count they point at each kid. This seriously happens whenever we are out. It makes me a little crazy whenever we are at a restaurant or at a store because I want the kids to be perfect to show them that we can be sane with so many kids because people are very grumpy when they see our family, as if we've broken a rule or something. I want to say "no welfare here we're paying for them all :)" just in case that is what is offending them. One of my pet peeves is when someone says "you've got YOUR hands full" And they say it so negatively. I kind of feel bad for the waiter who caught me in a mood a few months ago. I let him know that I love my kids and saying that I have my hands full is not a positive thing to say. He tried to dig himself out of it I know he was trying to recover his lost tip. There is a huge difference of how cute your kids are when you have two with you compared to when you have five. Whenever I have two kids, old ladies talk to the kids and smile, but when I have five they glare or whisper under their breath. It is actually quite entertaining to have five kids, not only do the kids entertain us when we are out, but so do the people who come our way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Seriously, 5? That's really no big deal! It's not like you're the Duggars or anything! People are so dumb! And yes, I too can't stand the "you have your hands full" thing... seriously, I want to say, "you have it REALLY easy, what a easy life you must have? you must be super lazy? do you just sit around on your butt all day?"
The possibilities are endless, but I've never said any of those things :) Some day though! If I'm in a bad mood!
I have that to look forward to someday! We still qualify in the "cute you only have two kids and they are so cute" instead of the "what are you trying to do...repopulate the planet single handedly?" I can't believe the things people will say sometimes!
People can be rude, can't they. :) Whenever someone says, "You must have your hands full", I respond, "And so is my heart."
PS-You know your kids are WAY cute! :)
This is a good post. My sister-in-law has 4 kids and they live in Rhode Island and 4 kids is a rare thing and she has told me she feels the same way. People come up to her and say, "God bless you" and so she just says "God bless you" back.
Ooooo, good response Lydia!! I would get it with 4 kids too. I even had a former neighbor (you probably know them too) that when he first met us, I was Preg. w/ David and he said to me "Are you crazy or something?" So much for 1st impressions.
I LOVE your kids!
When I was in elementary school and we lived in California nobody would rent a house to us because my parents had four kids (eventually 5). Finally, my Mom started lying on the application and when the landlord would come over a couple of kids had to hide.
Great post Jamie, I think it's not because you have five, but they are all really little still. Like rabbits or something. We take our four to Haggen's sometimes, but they are all bigger so no one stares--and at the Barkley Haggens for sure you would get comments. Don't worry though, you will have the last laugh when you are old and all your kids and grandkids take care of you and those who didn't care to have kids will be lonely in the nursing homes. Hang in there, they are all so cute!
mimi
man, i wonder what they'll say when you have your 6th!
I loved this post. So true. I feel that way being pregnant with #3. People have said, "man you are brave," and "so are you guys done after 3?" It drives me crazy already!
Happens to us all the time and we have 3! It make me mad...I think they are in awe of it most times and don't knwo how to say it..Just say 'way to go!" :)
Post a Comment