Thursday, January 22, 2009
flu shot or mall playground?
This morning around 4:30 am I was trying to figure out why Lexi is sick, as all three girls lay in bed with me (Wynden was in Seattle over night for a meeting). They started wandering in around 3:00, I was awake anyway kind of waiting for them, knowing that they would probably be joining me I'm not sure why I had this revelation. I am sure you all feel very sorry for me as this night ranked in my top five worst night sleep ever, but back to Lexi she has been sick since Tuesday. On Monday, she had a well check visit and I decided that she should get a flu shot because the baby's arrival is coming soon. Then after that we went to the mall and got there a little early, so to kill time before going to build a bear to stuff a bear she got for Christmas the kids played at the playground. That afternoon I got her a dentist appointment last minute for a tooth that had been giving her problems. They happy gassed her and numbed her up really well and then pulled the tooth out it was so bad. The next morning Lexi was so emotional and said her stomach hurt. Since then, we've had a very emotional, irritable, very sick Lexi. Wynden has never been a fan of flu shots he claims that the one time he got one it made him sick. I've heard this from other people as well, I personally have never gotten sick from one. In years past I do feel like after the mall playground one kid was always sick after we were there. And then there is the dentist, they did numb her twice and it was a lot of happy gas....It just seems crazy after her big day of doctor, dentist, and playground that she got so sick, I don't know I guess maybe it wouldn't be so bad if I could just say "oh that's why"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
oh that sucks poor lexi. yeah it's to bad that bellingham doesn't have any good places for kids anymore with tube time and the museum closed. the mall is just about a it, and McDonalds I guess which I am sure is just as icky. wow that was a big day for her though. I have to say I always ask for happy gas, when I go, I love it. Good thing I never got into drugs growing up cause I think I might have been addicted:)
Poor, sweet Lexi. I have to agree with Wynden. From our family experience I have never been so sick in my life as when I took a flu shot. I will NEVER take one again. The doc thinks I'm allergic to something in the vaccine. I know I've learned my lesson. Hope you get to tae a nap today.
Oh, I feel bad for Lexi and for you too. That is the worst. All of those places are high traffic. A lot of people that go through there don't wash their hands and worse! (I don't mean the doctors and dentists - but that would be really disgusting!) I pretty much made an unspoken rule not to visit the play area at the mall during flu season. It is a petrie dish full of everything!
I usually have my girls get flu shots and I swear it keeps them from having the flu BUT the one and only time I got the shot I got super sick. So did Scott. Hope you guys get feeling better soon!
We refer to that place as the "cess-pool" and do not let our children in there anymore... Ocean got croupe immediately after visiting that place which passed to me, giving me that awful cough that in turn abrupted my placenta, and Liam Had to be born 2 mos. early from that AND he was sick inutero as well... I blame it all on that place...lol... But I try not to go to the mall with the babes anyway...for sanity purposes only...lol... :) I sure hope Lexi starts feeling better soon though... OH, 2 days before I had Liam I had a flu shot too.... I have mixed feelings over them, though my WHOLE family got them this year...I'm kindof dragging my feet.... :{
Oh poor Lexi-and you!! I don't have much faith in the flu shot, just because I think it's impossible to predict what strain it will be this year. We've never had them. I hope you all get feeling better soon! Let me know if I can help in any way.
Sleepless nights are the worst! I hope things are starting to improve. The worst kind of sick I have ever had is the flu, so I totally feel for Lexi and the good Mommy taking care of her ;) Hang in there!
The only thing worse than a sick seven year old, is a sick husband. For your sake, I will say a prayer that it doesn't spread to Wynden.
I am mixed on the flu shot. Part of me thinks they are better than nothing and the other part of me agrees with Lydia (they are guessing which flu it will be.) Maya and Foster got the flu mist and Ella got the flu shot this year. So far, no sickness. I have only ever gotten the flu shot when I was pregnant with Ella and didn't get the flu then...then again, I think I've only had it once in my life, anyway.
Good luck!
The whole thing about getting sick from a flu shot is an old wives tale :)
BUT I agree with Lydia... can they really predict it that well? And if you already had it in your system, the shot won't do anything for you. Usually by the time you start thinking, "we should get flu shots", it's because people around you are getting sick and it's too late :)
I am, by the way, the queen of catching barf in my hands. Jealous?
Post a Comment