Monday, June 6, 2011

ok maybe it was too soon...



How do you know when your kids are ready for the "big talks"? I don't think that there is any correct answer for this question. I have heard a lot of stories and advice from other moms and I think I will know when my kids will be ready by just waiting for the right time. For instance, Lexi and I were driving around one Saturday for her Jazz pictures getting shoes and stuff and we were talking about her friends and school. She brought up that one of her friends was mean sometimes. It led me to a story about bucket filler of the year award and from there we covered some "girly stuff". She won't probably need this information for a couple of years, but it was the perfect opportunity (she might not agree as she was very embarrassed and kept asking if I was done). I felt so good about it though.



There are several embarrassing and uncomfortable topics that us parents have to cover with our children or else someone else will. I of course want it to be me so that I can explain it correctly. On the way home from church, somehow we got on the topic of nursing babies and Hunter started asking some questions. He has seen me nurse 3 babies (at first I would try to be modest, but let's face it after a while I was like oh forget it), so I thought he understood everything. Well he didn't and as I started explaining how it worked even using the N word with him, which is one of my least favorite words, he started laughing and laughing, which made me laugh a little seeing how amused he was and then he just couldn't stop talking about it and he couldn't stop cracking up and then he got a little grossed out. It was a crazy drive home. I don't know if he was mature enough to hear about nursing now, but I am quite certain that he will need about 20 years before he will be ready to handle the "big talk".

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That is WAY funny!

Peter and Lesha said...

oh funny, I can just picture you laughing too :)

kaitlyn said...

nipple