Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Finally something I can agree with...

A friend of mine posted about this on her blog http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/alaska-mom-dr-phil-show-charged-child-abuse/story?id=12788468. So of course I googled it and found a news story about it. What a bad situation. I felt very bad for the child. What I found interesting was the child psychologist's take on the situation. Usually I find these people (child psychologists) too liberal and only educated not experienced. He had two really good points when it came to disciplining your child.


First of all if you watch the video of the Alaskan mom she is putting hot sauce in her child's mouth and then a cold shower all the while yelling (or should I say screaming) at him about what he did wrong. I don't think either form of these two disciplinary actions is ok, with that being said, he said that explaining the correct behavior while your disciplining is not effective, the child is more focused on the disciplinary action than on what you are saying. Obviously the burning going on in the boy's mouth would probably be what he was focused on. He said wait a few hours until the child is more mentally prepared to focus on you as you explain better behavior to them. Also I add that this allows you time to cool down too and be able to more effectively explain what you want in a calmer way.

The psychologist also said that a lot of parents use a "time out" with their children, but when this doesn't work sometimes your child needs a "time in", which means that your child's behavior is sometimes a result of lack of attention and so they are acting out to get it. A "time in" means spend some quality time with that child let them feel loved and cared for and that they are part of a family.

I should show this video to my kids and let them know how easy I am on them :)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah... this story bothers me... I'm speechless about the whole situation.

Musicmom-Amy said...

Just wow!!! And of course, they have to mention that she's LDS. Why do people think they can have these "15 minutes of fame" for their bad situations and not have any fallout? News flash!! Hey lady, the hot sauce or the cold showers aren't working either!!! And should have never been tried. Just unreal!!

Vashti said...

I clicked the link and watched the video and it made me so sad.
There are so many deserving parents that want children of their own so badly and it just breaks my heart to see those who are blessed to have children do things like this.
Sadly I also know that there are a lot of kids who have it a whole lot worse. It makes me want to hold my kids tighter and talk to them softer. I can't imagine what possessed her to video tape it all and send it in to a talk show!

Jeremy Saunders said...

haha you are so funny that you googled this right after your google post. And like I said to April, I am speechless there are no words. I would hate to judge the lady, but kids shouldn't be treated that way ever, but I agree, our kids think they have it so rough!
mimi

Black Family said...

Totally agree....those "time in's" are so important!
Sorry i did not call you back....we have been out of town since last Fri. morning. Are you going tomorrow?