Monday, July 20, 2009

Can't you see I'm changing a diaper here...

Funny story...The other day I took my kids and 2 nieces and 2 nephews to the free movie at the mall. I met my sister-in-law Kaitlyn there with her two kids. It was a full house as usual, so we made our seats off to the side on the floor (I actually don't mind this we've done it every time). Well Karlee, Hallie, and Blaine had had enough about five minutes into the movie :) So Kaitlyn decided to make things easy and take them to the play area in the mall. I stayed with the older kids and Diesel. At intermission I realized that Diesel needed a diaper change so I took the kids to the bathroom , which was a zoo, and had them wait for me at the table right outside the bathroom. While inside the bathroom, I realize that there is no changing table that I can see anyway, so I randomly say out loud to anyone who will listen "is there no changing table in here" and two moms who were close were so nice to answer me "I don't think so" The one mom disappeared back to the movie while the other mom was instantly by my side for any assistance which I might require. She at this point had no idea that I had a million kids with me waiting for me outside the bathroom, so it was a little weird that she wanted to help me with one child :) I told her I could change him on the table outside where so conveniently the other children were waiting and didn't need any help. I walked out of the bathroom and she followed...I laid Diesel on the bench on the side of the table closest to the wall, so no one would be able to see (not that I care because if they aren't going to provide me with a changing table then it is a free for all) and there she continued to stare at me and smile (a little creepy I am thinking), so I started taking Diesel's pants off and kind of kept glancing at her trying to figure out why she was staring and what her intent was I wanted to wait to take off his diaper until she left, out of courtesy to Diesel of course :) She finally speaks saying "can I just tell you that you look amazing" ok so now I am like what the heck. Then she starts talking about being a mother and aren't children amazing and blah blah blah. I did change Diesel's diaper during her monologue I mean how long do you keep the kid waiting. Finally she gets to the point "I sell Mary Kay and would love to pamper you" She continues to give me her business card and got my phone number to set a date for "pampering" She let me know that she just got a car from Mary Kay and if any of you know anything about Mary Kay that is a big deal and I'm guessing that I am not the first mom she had ever chased down changing a diaper :) I kind of found it amusing the way she gets her customers. Well the moment I walked through the door at my house the phone was ringing. Guess who? I told her I was too busy and so she told me that she would call a different day. Different day = the next day. I proceeded to give her my address and set a date for my "pampering" I will explain "pampering" now. It is when they help you find the colors of make up that best fit your coloring and skin care that matches what type you are. Not bad not bad at all except they only do half your face so you can see the difference. So you can walk around all day with half your face made up or you can wash it all off and do it all again with your own products covering your whole face so you don't look like an idiot. I told Wynden the story when he got home from work and he was like "she's coming? You're not going to buy anything are you? We are in a recession don't you know and I don't know where you get all your money, but you sure have way more than I have." Something to that effect. After I thought about it I was like I don't want anything I don't need anything. I've used Mary Kay before and it's ok, a little overpriced. I know that if she comes she will definitely make me feel pressured to buy something, so I called and cancelled hoping to get voicemail (shouldn't she be out pampering some other lucky mom) of course she was home. She thought about getting funny about why I was cancelling, but I didn't let her and now of course it is just a funny memory. Moral of the story: Don't ask about where to change diapers because chances are if you ask for a location of a changing table they're going to want to pamper YOU!

7 comments:

Musicmom-Amy said...

You are TOO nice!!! Kind of freaky though and funny at the same time.

Lydia said...

oh that's too funny! and weird as you said :)

Vashti said...

With my experience with mary kay they have had me do my OWN face and just kind of direct me. The whole time I am thinking I don't even like to put my usually makeup on so why would I want to take 40 min for someone else to tell/direct me at how to put my makeup on. Jeesh! You gotta give her props for being persistant, I can see how she got her car!

Peter and Lesha said...

that is hilarious and I think Peter would have said the same thing as Wynden:) I have to say I love mary kay (not that I war anything anyway) but when my aunt sold it, it was the only lip stick that would keep my lips soft :) (who cares right) anyway that is super crazy when I used to waitress I had people leave their mary kay cards all the time as like a tip? yeah very dumb how they only do half your face. And one more thing, you have got to have more patience then anyone I know to bring all those kids to the movie, seriously I really admire that I need to just hang out with you for a day to see how you do it. I don't think I have ever seen you look frazzled or stressed or upset at your kids either, you just always smile. Thanks for that, something to strive toward

Unknown said...

OMGsh ALL OVER THE PLACE! Okay, I was "approached" in Safeway in Port Orchard once. I was like, "what, do I look that crappy that you think I need make-up?" I avoided taking the card by saying, "did you go to south?" (my high school), the answer was yes and apparently, she was so embarrassed that I might know her, that she let me off the hook.

I would have given that lady the wrong number :) "yeah, call me... 555..."

jenn gent said...

I think I met this same lady at Lake Padden... she is VERY determined. Funny story! :)

JenM. said...

What I love is her "approach"-line, "Can I just say, you look amazing?"

How does she know? For all she knew, you looked especially terrible. (Although, I am sure that you DID indeed look amazing.) Anyways, if you looked so amazing, why could you possibly need a makeover?

I HATE business models that have you accost your friends and family and then move onto perfect strangers.