Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I guess if I were to show a picture of what we've been doing this first week of no school it would be of a tooth. Yesterday Lexi went to the dentist for two fillings and today Hunter went to the Dentist to get one pulled, two crowns, and one filling. Growing up I had horrible teeth. Every baby tooth had a filling. At one point when I had lost all my baby teeth, not one tooth had any silver on it, but it didn't take long and now every tooth has a filling. I was told that I had sensitive teeth that were susceptible to cavities. One might question my dental hygiene-I do floss and brush more than the average Joe (no pun intended Dad). I had braces for three years and every accessory that goes along with them (retainers, rubber bands, and yes even head gear) My parents had pretty good teeth, they never had to have braces, but all three sisters and myself did. I guess I hoped it would skip a generation, but it does not look that way (look at Lexi's teeth if you don't believe me) Wynden also has the so called sensitive teeth issue. He's had more root canals than I've had babies, if you can believe that one :) I will admit Wynden and I have a hard time spending money on the dentist, that is why Hunter had to have a heavily decayed tooth pulled out. We just got dental insurance so now I don't feel so bad (maybe for the insurer). Anyway I just want to thank my parents for all the money they put into my mouth I do appreciate it and hopefully someday my kids will too.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I think genetics have a lot to do with it... my parents had great teeth... I've never had a cavity or braces, but a few years ago I got a preventative filling (just in case, I had a deep rut in my tooth). I think preventative is super important too :) Kevin has never had a filling or braces, so fingers crossed for our kids! Of course, we've had a few siblings with braces :) So you never know!

Musicmom-Amy said...

And you do have a beautiful smile Jayme!! Amber is my one that has sensitive enamel too. Make sure the kids get sealants on their molars. It's prevented many a cavity for our kiddos.

I can't believe Wynden's had that many root canals. I've only had one and I NEVER want to do that again!!!

Vashti said...

I have pretty good teeth (never needed braces, only one little filling) but Marcus has sensitive teeth so I think it will be a toss up with our kids. Olivia already has some funky teeth things going on, so hopefully that isn't the trend!

Suzanne said...

poor hunter... i've had one crown and it was extremely painfull (and i got it as an adult), i can't imagine having 2 at once as a child! i hope they both are doing ok!

Lydia said...

Oh, this makes me cringe! What a way to start the summer :) I hope they're doing good.

Alana said...

I totally agree with being preventative - that's the dental assistant coming out of me! Sealants are a HUGE help.

JenM. said...

I find teeth to be gross and foul... cavity or no. Whenever they find something wrong with one of my kids' teeth and want to show it to me, I always say, "no thank-you." It's just my mouth thing... Anyway, I HATE spending money at the dentist, too. I have really good teeth, Jon not so much. I am secretly hostile when he has to have a lot of (costly) work done. I am always thinking what I could do differently with the several hundred dollars...

Peter and Lesha said...

oh my heck that makes me cringe too. I have great teeth with only two cavities ever but Peter has bad teeth I try to brush Carson's all the time and some days he lets me and some not. hope Hunter is feeling better I was told (by dentist) that is the same fork/drink anything with saliva was shared with people with bad teeth/ prone to cavities then the germ (?) bacteria (?) can be passed on. I was crazy about it at first with Peter sharing with him but how can you get around that??