Facebook drives me nuts. I don't have an account, but I do look a bit through my brother in law's account, which I know is basically the same as having an account, kind of like people who say they don't have "TV", but watch a movie every night on a TV through netflix or a whole season of their favorite show in one week they just don't have cable they still have TV.
I guess I just don't understand what some people are thinking when they do a status update or even when they comment or like some things. When someone posts they just got divorced and then they get a record amount of likes and comments that say congratulations, my jaw basically hits the desk. I'm like what are you people thinking. Have you not ever witnessed what a divorce does to a family. Well first of all it breaks it up. Kids then have a "mom's house" and a "dad's house" how unnatural is that. So not only is it unnatural living circumstances for the children, but everything else that goes with it. Every other holidays and birthdays. Hoping for the rest of your life that your parents will get back together (which I know several adults who still talk about their parents getting back together just so hopeful and not realizing it is never going to happen). And then there is that dreadful day that you have to watch your mom and dad fall in love with someone else who is not your mom or dad. I have seen the pain with children of divorce and my heart aches. I have seen how it has affected my own kids who are just related and not living it and how confusing and emotional it is for them. Hunter used to say all the time "you know what I really wish is that they would get back together." So is there a dislike button because that is the button people should be hitting.
And another thing I don't like about facebook while I'm on the subject is that people can drop you as a friend. Talk about Jr. high all over again. I'm pretty sure this would hurt my feelings. I just can't believe that people would do that and still feel comfortable seeing that person like nothing happened. It's crazy people I tell you.
OK so that's it. Sorry if I have offended, just the one time I couldn't keep my mouth shut.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I agree with you. 100%. If someone was leaving an abusive situation, then i could see it more, but this was just ridiculous.
I am so angry I can hardly type a coherent response. I guess the best we all can hope for is that the children will come out of it without needing TOO much therapy. UUUGGGGGHHHHHH
Hmm....I wonder what recent status update you saw. I too am mystified. Unless it was an abusive relationship that someone finally found the courage to get out of, I cannot imagine celebrating a divorce--especially when children are involved. That whole certain situation still mystifies me....ah, well.
But I do have to tell you, Facebook has a lot of positives if you choose to use it wisely. I have actually been blessed by it, and have also been able to bless the lives of others through it. And I have been able to express my thoughts to others in writing where I would not have otherwise been brave enough to say face to face--positive thoughts that is.
I have no idea what update you're talking about, though I might have a bit of a clue.
BUT, maybe people were just thinking that it might be a relief to that person to have the proceedings over with? I think the "like" button is not that serious :) People were probably just trying to be supportive. Unless it was a child writing "my parents just got divorced", which would just be sad. If you are going to write on facebook about your divorce (and I don't know many who do... most don't), then you have opened yourself up to "likes" and comments from people who don't really know you that well.
For the most part, people have the best of intentions on facebook. Sure, there are a few losers who still aren't out of high school, but unfortunately, they exist in and out of facebook. But seriously, 99% of my experience has been positive. I've seen many people reach out for help and immediately receive it... both for physical and emotional help. I've been able to carry on friendships that otherwise would have been lost just due to being separated by miles and been able to share the gospel. At least weekly I make plans with friends through facebook that I would never get around to if I had to play phone tag all day. It saves me tons of time, which I need.
I started with fb for my business because people wanted me to upload their pictures, but I'm glad I'm on there because of the friendships.
And if "a person" doesn't like a response from fb, they can always delete it. Or just keep private stuff to themselves.
Sorry, I guess you got a rant in return, but everyone on facebook isn't BAD, I get sick of hearing "I hate facebook" because it implicates that everyone on there is shallow, when they just aren't. I like what Mimi said, you have to choose to use it wisely!
PS, we're still friends, right? Kidding :) I feel comfortable writing this response because I know you won't get worked up over it! And it sounds like you wrote your post in a heated moment, so I totally understand.
so apparently I am friends with boring people :) hahaha cause I have never seen posts like these. I have to say though, you just never know what's going on... Believe me when I say there is such a thing as emotional abuse and sometimes we don't see the reason for the divorce I think it can be better in a lot of cases for both the people involved and the kids. but I don't think FB is the place to hang your dirty laundry :)
Oh whatever. Join Facebook, it's the best! lol
Jayme is specifically talking about the darin and kristen situation. People that liked that status. i don't really think she thinks facebook is THAT bad, but is just personally really affected by that situation and is offended by people WHO KNOW BETTER that liked her status. specifically.
(I figured it was that, but I don't know them well, so we're not fb friends.)
Well, then talk to those people, specifically!
You know, something I learned from someone else ON FACEBOOK (lol!) today is that it is much better to hear about something you've done wrong right away than stew about it for years.
hahahahahaha that is all I have to say :)
Wow....what a heated debate.
I am with you...no facebook for me. I am old school, I guess, but I like to call people and talk on the phone. I like to hear information (marriage, babies, divorce?..) to my face, or from my mom/sister who read it on fb! lol!
Plus I love blogging and I feel like fb is taking over and people don't blog as much anymore because of it. Maybe?
I tried to post on here while I was in Spokane but it would not work on my phone. I wrote a whole long comment and nope did not work. Anyways...I felt so sad when you wrote this. Divorce is one of the hardest things to go through as a child no matter young or old or for the spouses. Still to this day a little part of me way back in my mind has hopes for my parents getting back together and that has never gone away even when I know it is pretty impossible for that to happen (crazy huh...ya but that is how it is). It was one of the hardest things I had to go through in my life. I feel exactly the way you do. So sad. Facebook is silly for those reasons....really you liked that? Makes no sense. And for the deleting people on facebook...haha....I do it but not for people I know super well....usually people who are people I use to know in college/high school who are posting crazy anti-mormon literature or just random nasty updates...ha! You knew you would hear from me...as I love to tell people what I think...hahahaha! Great post...loved it and makes people think about how horrible and hard it is for children who are a product of divorced parents. And yes Facebook is Silly but great too for other things. Please get on....or I am going to make up one for you and have everyone add you as a friend..haha...jk! love ya!~
Post a Comment